Wednesday, October 24, 2007

File medallions in mushroomsauce

One of my favorite easymeals for the whole family has got to be medallions of porkfile in a cream and mushroom sauce served with either bulgur, or for the "exotic foods" challenged family of mine, rice. I made this dinner tonight for me and my kid and it got the thumbs up this time too. You can make double or even triple the portions.. just make sure you make the final sauce in a large pot instead of straight into the pan. That is actually how I most of the time make it, since I have an obnoxiously large family.

Porkfile and cream..
serves 4

1 porkfile sliced (or porkchops works just as well)
butter for the pan
salt and whitepepper (finely pulverised)
1 onion, chopped
1 small can of mushrooms (any kind you like, fresh even if you got them.)
2.5 dl of creme (lowfat works very well. I used Mildas mat with 7%)
soysauce (chinese) a few drops for desired colour
boullion (i use bong, touch of taste.. ox.. about a spoonful or more, i never measure.)
a little blackpepper


This is how you do it:
Start with the sidedish. Put the water on for the bulgur or rice. They will be done just about the same time if you have everything already chopped and prepared.
Fry the porkslices in a little butter until they are done (it takes about 3 minutes per side for me). Season them with salt and pepper ofcourse. Don't fry them all in one go, that will only boil the meat instead of giving it good texture and colour. Just put the finished one to the side until they are all done.
If the pan is very messy, rince it with water. Drop another miniknob of butter in there and fry the onion and the mushrooms, season them with salt and some pepper. Toss all the meat in and pour the cream over it all. Add the soy and bullion.. some more salt and pepper if needed. Let it simmer until it is all good and gooey. If you feel you have too little sauce, feel free to add more cream or milk, creme fraiche other types of dairy.. even garliccreamcheese works like a charm in this. Done just about the time it will take for you to put out the dishes, get some rice and veggies ready.

Enjoy!

I am camera challenged right now, so there will be pictures added at a later time, not to worry.. This dish comes around very often in my family. It's kinda funny actually... It was my mom that showed me how to make it from the beginning, but as soon as I had learned it, she claimed she had never ever made it! Just because this would be a dish that I would be incharge of cooking instead of her when my brothers came and asked for it. My mom was funny that way.

No comments: