Sunday, October 28, 2007

Swedish meat(flat)balls in the oven

This is hardly rocketscience food for the swedes, i know. It is a healthier version of swedish meatballs. You see... I am trying to cut out all the half-prepared or readymade meals out of my diet, but im just too lazy to roll all the little meatballs in neat little balls and then fry them all in the pan a few at a time. For one... I have done so, and it always ends with me going stircrazy and all my meatballs ending up flat anyways. I do not have the patience for that. Instead I have been experimenting with preparing hamburgertype patties in the oven. With great success I might add, because this has turned out to be one big success in my family. And I always make enough to freeze and use as panic-prepared lunches and omg-mommy-feed-me-now dinners.
This is what I do.. some might want to add some sort of breadcrumb/milk mixture to it as classic recepies calls for (just google swedish meatballs), but I kind of like having the protein undialuted.

My flat swedish meatballs

1200 grams of lean ground beef (10% maximum is what I use... you may use mixture of pork and elk, or pork and redmeat.. but I keep it simple. )
1 large onion, grated
salt
pepper (white and black)
worshestershire sauce (I dont measure, just drop some on.. tablespoon or more)
bullionsauce or a bullion cube if you have it.
2 eggs
soysauce

1 large ovenpan (use the deep one that comes with the oven) and paper it.

I start with peeling the onion and then I grate it roughly. This makes the onionpieces small enough not to meddle with the shapes of the meatballs afterwards. Also it makes fussy little kids eat without hesitating over the big pieces of onion I otherwise would be serving.
First I put some meat in a large bowl (preferably a bowl dedicated to use for meats.. or a stainless steel one to make sure you can clean it easily. Yes, I am germ-phobic.) and add some of the onion, salt and pepper, more meat and then onion and more seasonings. Then blend it all together well with a spoon or a large wooden fork. Do not overmix, but make sure it is all nicely mixed. Add the worshestershiresauce, bullion and a few drops of soy also, and more seasoning.. dont be afraid of pepper and salt. It needs a lot. Don't tell me if you taste the batter, because i dont want to know. It is just wrong. I wing it, I have never oversalted the meatballs. Crack the eggs and mix them into the batter. Time to shape it. Put the oven on now to 250 degrees celcius (high heat).

If I would make meatballs, i would make them tiny with like just a tablespoon meatbatter. But I am making big honking meatpatties instead, so I use the icecreamscooper to make balls in the same size. Place them close together on the ovenpan. This batter usually make about 30 big balls. Which I then promptly flatten with a spatula. Then I pour a few drops of dark chinese soy ontop and paint them with a brush and once the oven is ready I shove the pan in there somewhere in the uppermiddle and put the timer on 15 minutes. They litterary manage themselves in the oven. I took my time taking care of the kitchen and the dishes while they cooked. After those 15 minutes I turn them over (lots of liquids have spread around the pan now, which you could prolly use as a saucebase if you want to. I don't) and lower the heat slightly to 175 and keep it in the oven for antoher 10 minutes.

These are valuable minutes where you can prepare the rest of the dishes. I suggest veggies such as green beans or broccoli... Tonight I took a very big shortcut and used instant mash potatoes (with a little extra milk and a spoon of butter, little salt and pepper to make it nicer), an instant cream sauce and lingonberry jam. There was also pickled cucumber on the table. Nice nice nice. And the whole batch served 5 adults and 1 kid and there was enough patties left over for another dinner at dads place tomorrow. If I was cooking at home the natural sidedishes would be fullgrain macaroni or bulgur together with veggies or corn. Which incidently is what I am having for lunch tomorrow at work.

No comments: